Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day Ten: Stanton to Chipping Campden


Chipping Campden


Chipping Campden Market HallThe ancient Market Hall was built in 1627  for a cost of £90.00. It was for the purpose of giving shelter to the local market selling cheese, butter and poultry.





On Campden Wold the skylark sings
In town the traveler finds
The inward peace which beauty brings
To bless & heal tormented minds

john masefield



In Stanton

Leaving Shenbarrow Hill Fort. I'd Like to Say It's All Downhill From Here
But We Still Have Broadway Hill Ahead of Us. 

Soay Sheep    More on the Soay

This Pheasant Thought It Was A Chicken
 This is it! Every step, as it's been from the day I left Bath, is bringing me closer to the finish. How will I be able to turn away? It's been tiring, exhilarating, motivating, rewarding, enervating, intense, beautiful, engrossing, painful, addictive, energizing. Has it only been 12 days? 10 days walking, 2 days of rest. It feels like it was just yesterday we were in Bath, no... we were emailing the plans to do this and it was just an idea. It was an idea that came to fruition. Thank you, Linda!
Time is relentless, it doesn't want to accommodate me when I want it to slow down. It's a day of "lasts".  I'm so happy, but I'm sad. 




View to Broadway From the West

St Michael's, Broadway, From Waterloo Footbridge

Stretching My Calves on the Church Steps =8-0

Nourishment

Broadway Tower. If I Wasn't Taking This Picture
I'd Be Hiding Behind the Building to Get Out of the Wind and Rain

A Road of Potatoes? What's Up With That?  

3½ more miles, no "P" in Campden? 

In Happy Lands! Somewhere Between Pillow Mounds and Campden Hole.
Gotcha. No Problemo.

Ominous Broadway



On Hoo Lane

I Don't Know Who He Is But It's an Odd Talent to Commemorate



I set out on this adventure to traverse distances in the spirit of romance, out of reverence for the past and to find and leave a part of myself in England's history. Walking the CW is following in the footsteps of everyone in the past, along co-existing periods of time, at different speeds, encompassing different worlds. A path is made by the movement of the accumulated steps of its users over time. This being true, then each CW walker makes their own path. Although it is public property, its also strongly private, forming part of each walkers' personal history and creating a string between the recent and distant past. I became embedded in the landscape, the vibrant, shared landscape into which our ancestors and we are woven. Walking the CW has been one of the deepest experiences I have ever had the privilege to enjoy. 

My Feet on the Medieval Floor of the Market Hall. And a Cigarette Butt. Sheesh. 





Excuse Me... That's 102 Miles! It Looks Like It Says "Bath Room". Why Would They Put This Milestone in the Parking Lot Crammed up
Beside a Building? I Hope They move It. 





Linda & Steve on Broadway Tower When We Returned on a Better Day. We Drove. 

View From Broadway Tower Park in the Sun

Another Shot of St Michaels, Broadway



I Love This View ~ Chipping Campden From Dover's Hill,
Home Stretch!


Me on Dovers Hill




And From Whom Are We Protecting Ourselves Now? 





Last, I Confess, I Cried. 




No comments:

Post a Comment